AcornDreams Healthy Choices resources reflect the 5-2-1-0 model recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. This simple framework encourages young children to eat 5 fruits and vegetables, spend 2 hours (or less) in front of TV or other screens, play in active ways for 1 hour (or more), and drink 0 sugary drinks – every day. The Healthy Al, Healthy Me curriculum teaches this model in seven 10-minute, lively lessons, and the Al’s Healthy Choices book teaches these concepts using simple language, interactive text, featuring puppet pal Al.
5-2-1-0 Activities for Young Children
The following activity sheets, games, and other teaching tools can be downloaded and printed to teach young children the healthy habits that make up the 5-2-1-0 model. Print “My Fruit Salad” using a landscape orientation setting on the printer. All other documents will print in the default portrait setting.
- Healthy Snack Ideas – list of delicious, nutritious, and kid-friendly finger-food snacks
- Celebration Activities – list of fun activities that can be done indoors or outside
- Tasting Party Preference Form – a way to let children taste and rate different foods
- Hopscotch with a Twist – a fun way to jump and move
- Activity Cube – a fun way for children to be active
- Al Says – a new take on Simon Says
- Healthy Food Maze – Level 1
- Healthy Food Maze – Level 2
- Healthy Food Maze – Level 3
- What Animal am I? – an interactive game of animal charades
- Al’s Action Story – ten-minute lesson featuring Al that includes lots of movement
- Memory Game – reproducible Healthy Choices cards children can cut, color, and play with
- My Fruit Salad – reproducible sheet for children to color the fruit they enjoy
- Instruction sheet for Memory Game and My Fruit Salad
- Lesson for Al’s Healthy Choices book – a 10 minute lesson expanding on themes taught in Al’s Healthy Choices book
Healthy Al, Healthy Me Celebration Resources
Each year, there is a Healthy Al, Healthy Me Day, but these resources can be used ANYTIME. The 6th annual celebration date in 2018 will be announced early in the year. It’s a chance to highlight the importance of teaching young children to eat healthy foods and be active. Use the 5-2-1-0 Activities above, invite families or community members, and showcase your commitment to teaching young children the healthy habits. Many of the printable flyers, invitations, and party materials can be customized to include your information.
Party Planning Guide
- Party Planning Guide – step-by-step outline for planning and holding a Healthy Al, Healthy Me Celebration.
Announcements, Invitations, Flyers, and Press Release
- Celebration Invitation to Parents and Others– customizable invitation for your Healthy Al, Healthy Me Celebration
- Celebration Announcement for Parents and Others– customizable announcement of your Healthy Al, Healthy Me Celebration
- Flyer– add your Celebration details to this flyer for your Healthy Al, Healthy Me event
- Press Release – Press Release
- Tips for sending a Press Release – Tips for sending a Press Release
- See the 5-2-1-0 Activities above
- Party Hat – template children can cut out, decorate, assemble and wear
- Banner and Party Hat Assembly Instructions
- Pennant – template children can cut out, decorate, and assemble into Pennant Banner
Family Involvement Notes
Simple and to-the-point, these reproducible notes reach out to families with important information for supporting young children’s healthy development. Each note offers basic information about one specific 5-2-1-0 topic – like limiting children’s screen time – along with practical suggestions for today’s busy families.
- Less Screen Time, More Play Time
- Healthy Eating? Small Changes Help!
- Help Children Listen To Their Body